Wednesday 22 August 2012

Researching the Premier League and Championship

I have now begun my research into the top two divisions of English football, the main source I am using for this area is the Deloitte Annual Review of Football Finance 2012 (report highlights). A yearly investigation conducted by the accountants using data collected from football clubs, governing bodies and individuals within the game to give one of the most in depth views of the games financial affairs. In particular this source has enabled me to look clearly at how English Football and the Premier League has changed over the last two decades as well as providing me detailed information on clubs throughout England's top two tiers.

Other sources I have used include news and investigative corporations such as Sporting Intelligence - detailing specific changes on the globalisation of football, The Guardian - where I used their reports to see the debt levels of top clubs to use for my section on the volatility of club's finances, and Football365 to obtain information on attendances, and ground capacities in the league and the changes.

Apart from the news sources and the Deloitte review I have also used two books; There's a golden sky: How twenty years of the Premier League has changed football by Ian Ridley, has given me good background knowledge and has also shown my certain areas I can explore for my project as the book is on a very similar subject. The second book is Pay As You Play: The True Price of Success in the Premier League Era by Graeme Riley - who I also contacted for further data to supplement the incredibly useful statistics in the book which detail exactly how money has lead to a change in the game, and in clubs fortunes.

They have all been very useful and appear trustworthy as they are all well respected sources, and in the cases of the investigative sources further sources are referenced for validity.

No comments:

Post a Comment